Wednesday 23 September 2015

Ganesh Chathurthi-the beginning of the festive season



It’s been really long since I wrote anything. Life is quite hectic these days. But being busy before Durga Puja means happiness besides getting tired. Yes, the long awaited rehearsal days have reappeared in my life and again. Completing office work and running to Powai, is the reality of my life now. This awaited haste has that flavor that spices up life.
Durga Puja, Kolkata and Bengalis are kind of official synonyms. It is no rocket science to guess why I say so. Durga Puja celebrations in Kolkata are more than grandiloquent, it is effervescent and a reflection of Bengali life and living. However here in Mumbai, and likewise in many other cities across the world, wherever Bengalis come together, we dare to recreate the magic, we dream to recreate a home away from home. The organization I am attached with “Spandan” also aims to celebrate Durga Puja in Mumbai. We call it festival with a purpose and each year our idol, pandal aim at resonating some cause/theme. 2015 will see us “rediscovering our roots.”
As we indulge into preparations for welcoming Ma, the stage of festivities is set by Ganesh Puja, the festival that marks the beginning of an entire season of overflowing emotions, grandeur and fun. It is also the biggest festival in Maharashtra, the entire state and especially Mumbai, resonates with the tune of  "Joydev, Joydev Jai Mangalmurti", and so do we. Divine, is the word that describes the ambience created with the arrival of Shri Ganesh Deva in my city. The air has a tangible sense of happiness, a sense of comfort, a sense of sooth like mother's touch. Really when I think, I feel proud of my nation. Where in the world, so many diverse cultures stay together enjoying and participating in each other's festivities and celebrations? I salute my Nation, for being so unique. 

Our besties Shalaka and Nilesh are from Maharashtra, and like each year me and my husband went to their house for celebrating Ganesh Chathurthi. And surrounded by flowers, modak and homage sat the cutest God "Lord Ganesh", his sight fills me with hope. Hope to be able to fight the odds, hope to be able survive rough mavericks. Wanted  to share few pics we had taken at  their place.....
Be Happy....It is festival TIME!!!

Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta


The Divine

With the Divine

Shalaka and Me

2 comments: