Tuesday 10 March 2015

My life restarted

Housing.com's lovely video

Life is not always a bed of roses that we all know. But going through the bed of thorns is not always easy. But my life was going fine. I had love in my life and many job options after I completed my chemical engineering. Though none of the jobs were in or around Kolkata, but that was alright. May be we were prepared for it. The least prepared of the people around me was my mom. But eventually she too was fine, thinking about my career. But problem surfaced after I got married. My husband Avishek was in Haldia Petrochemicals, in West Bengal and me in Reliance Industries Limited, Gujarat. Before marriage chat or phone calls sufficed somehow, but not after tying the knot. When ever I would see married couples around me, a sense of depression got hold. Our struggling life was not too short. Both of us agreed that we would not sacrifice careers, as that mattered a lot. Our parents have some dreams for us afterall. But holding on, was getting bitter and bitter day by day. Distance brings loads of misunderstandings and unwanted suspicions. We would fight and then mend, sometimes I did not mend completely and bruises remained. I don’t fear to admit, that I am the weaker of the two of us. I easily get frustrated, depressed or zoned out. Avishek has a much stronger will power than me. But my crankiness increased every day, and I even fell ill at times. My emotional dependence on him was and is extremely heavy. But distance made him suffocate under my seemingly unjustified demands. That was the time, I learnt the importance of the magic of touch, when words get harsher and harsher, and they are like daggers. At that time a loving hold of hands can work wonders. But we had the distance monster between us.Work was fine; I had a good profile and great reputation. I had no easy reason to think of a job switch. In the mean time Avishek got an opportunity in Essar Oil Jamnagar, but still as I was in Surat, the distance between us was ten hours. Life was just not willing to change. Neither Avishek got any good opportunity in Surat, nor did I get transfer to Jamnagar.

And that was the time, when I decided to change priorities. I decided to even leave if necessary my employment. Or otherwise, even if I was well settled I would change my job. I really understood, that family life and mental peace was of far more importance than any hi fi career opportunity. Believe you me; it was a turning point of self assessment. The careerist me, who was at driver seat of my life willingly, took the back. Leaving a well settled job is never easy, but I did so. Although the reality is, even today I don’t have similar kind of satisfaction and company at office, as I had then. But I have no regrets.

In 2012 November, both of us left two biggest Indian companies and joined two, which people hardly, knew. We came to the city of lights, Mumbai and build our nest of love. Today I don’t know if I am as satisfied professionally. Actually it doesn’t matter, I am earning well and I have him with me to share all my happiness and sorrows. While taking the decision I was not too sure, but now I am. And the good news is, we both are gradually falling back to track professionally as well. Recently I have rejoined Reliance in its Mumbai corporate park and Avishek is getting better opportunities. Now when I sit back and think, I feel great. Because I firmly believe God had taken a test to check the purity of our love. Now every day is a valentine’s day.


 When I came across this topic (#StartANewLife) in Indivine, I wanted to share my story. You can check HOUSING’s website using the following link: housing.com
Besides the video of housing.com (included in the beginning of the narrative) brought wonderful memories of our getting settled in this city and later buying our own house amidst lot of monetary adversities. That was another big turning point. But now I know, own house is a paradise of peace. And Settlement is the necessity of life, afterall we are not vagabonds.

Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta

No comments:

Post a Comment