Thursday 5 March 2015

My look up story

To me the world seemed to be a paradise. I never knew any unpleasant happening could dawn on me. I was optimistic and full of life. But when the realistic world struck me, I knew unforeseen dangers could touch and devastate. I lost my father. My father whose I am a shadow of! He was suffering from damaged kidney and was on haemodialysis for quite sometime. But believe you me; I never thought that he will succumb to his illness. I never quite believed that negativity could ever surface in my life. That morning, he was feeling weak but as usual I thought all will be well. But it did not turn out the way I thought. He left and for good. And I was left wondering, if what just happened was true. But it was true, to the core! My optimism left me, I felt insecure and unsure of the future. Whenever my mother went ill, I got scared. After marriage each time, my husband hit the crowded Mumbai roads with his mean machine, I felt tensed. I felt the pain of loosing one near and dear one, so to my heart that the fear of loosing more reigned supreme within me.

This lack of confidence took a toll on my health and even my career. Panic attacks became a part of me. And it is at that time when my husband came to my rescue. Infact I can easily name him my crisis angel. He showed that how blessed I am. He vowed to bring in front of me the underprivileged reality of our society and make me understand where I stand. Such that I know to value, whatever the creator has given and even taken away. And stop thinking of what is in store, instead live and enjoy what I have.

He was hugely involved in student politics, during his university times which is also the time we met. And during his course he had collected stories. Stories which impacted him and later helped me come out of the shelf I enclosed myself in. Stories that threw pessimism out of me and replaced it with optimism! Stories I believe!

The first story was of a girl, who later topped the West Bengal Board class X examination. She was poor and knew what hunger was. Her father was a farmer and they lived in a mud hut in a village near Kolkata. Proper food and amenities were daring dreams to them. Avishek my husband had seen her study. On the mud floor of their hut, with mosquitoes around, in humid hot summers with an oil lamp! But she excelled and touched the sky. The adversities instead of scaring gave her encouragement.

The second story is a conversation my husband had with his professor. Due to his over indulgence into politics, a time had come when his studies suffered. But otherwise he is very sharp. One fine evening, when he was deeply engrossed in some conversation over a smoke, his professor called. He said, “Look at that poor rickshaw puller smoking, do you know the price he pays for his smoke has tax added? And that tax is used for students like you, to study in government colleges with negligible fees…… so remember all you people are studying from the contribution of the poorest of the society, so never become a national waste. Studies come first for a student.” This changed him, and today he is a successful chemical engineering professional.

This changed me too, I knew the losses cannot be replenished but life is worth a living anyways. That sadness should only make us stronger. I also understood my responsibility as a Indian national. I knew I could not afford to disgrace my father, my education and the society by becoming a national waste.

When I came across this topic in indivine as LOOK UP STORIES, I was instantly determined to share. Please see the following link of New Housing, bringing optimism: housing.com/lookup, it surely does bring optimism.



Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta



No comments:

Post a Comment