Saturday 28 February 2015

MY FAMILY MY PRIDE


We live once, we actually do not have any idea what awaits on the other side of living. So it’s very important, to live full. As we grow, we grow not only in years but also in experience, individuality and personality. We grow to be a distinct flavour of living. But I believe every child is born equivalent if not equal. My mother says a child is like clay, what it becomes depends on how his/her parents shape the clay. And I trust her. A child growing up amidst poverty and illiteracy, often takes the wrong path. And a child with the privilege of education, medication and food has a different perspective of life. It’s situation driven to a very huge extent. Though it’s true that we are born with some inherent qualities of look and intellect which we owe to heredity and pedigree! But what we make of ourselves largely depend on our upbringing.

Everyone says I don’t resemble my father or mother. And true it is. Although my sisters do! As a child, my sisters teased by saying my parents got me from some temple. I used to be terrified and ran to my mom’s arm, who would assure me of my existence. I am a grown up now. Still very dissimilar to my family in looks! But now I know that I am a part of them, because I have grown to be my father’s shadow.  

It’s almost 9 years that I have lost my father. But my mom sees him through me. He has inculcated the seed that has germinated to me. I don’t know if I am able to justify his virtues but I feel privileged to own them. He was one of his kinds. A tough man, a self made man and a selfless one! Can anybody believe, on his wedding he refused to take even a wrist watch from my maternal grand father? Mom says, he said he could buy one. With no inherited properties and privileges, he and my mom brought the three of us up, into self dependent and compassionate human beings.

During our growing days, he has inculcated in us the zest to be ourselves. He encouraged us to take whatever career we wanted, depending on our interest and not on what others have to say. He told us to be brutally honest, even if that calls some people’s dislike. He taught us to be opinionated.

And today I am what I am. Not that I am great, but atleast I am good. I am managing my family along with my job and doing it well. And above all I am pursuing my dream of writing. Thank you Baba for making me an honest, hard working and compassionate human being! I am happy to be a slice of you!

When I came across this indivine topic posted by HDFC, I immediately remembered Baba. “My family my pride” ad film, is awesome to say the least, included in the beginning of the narrative. You can check their website for more details which is as follows: www.hdfclife.com
  


Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta

No comments:

Post a Comment