Wednesday 4 February 2015

Yet another story of shame





In a YouTube video that went viral on Monday, the unidentified victim took the video of the middle-aged man and is heard scolding him for alleged misdeeds. The incident took place on January 27 on an Indigo flight en route to Bhubaneswar from Mumbai. The woman alleged that the man tried to touch her through the gaps in between the seats and repeated the offence for a second time.

I am born and brought up, in the beautiful townshipof Kulti. Away from the hustle, bustle of city life, we had created a little paradise. Our existence flourished amidst serene nature and tranquil hearts. But most of ours relatives were in and around Kolkata. So each year, it was almost customary to pay a visit to the city of joy. Whenever me with my family came to the city, I was always taken aback to see the tired and rushing crowd. What are they running for, I failed to understand. We seldom traveled by local trains, but that night was different.

We got late; we wanted to travel from Dum Dum to Barasat to visit our maternal grandma’s house. Cab was not an option; it was too late and not safe using a cab. So we decided to take a local train. A means of transport we used the least, because of the gargantuan crowd. I was barely 9-10 years old then and had put on a cute knee length doll frock. As soon as we stepped inside the compartment, which as if was about to burst under the pressure that the humongous crowd was creating, I was pulled inside by an unknown hand. My mother panicked, but that man gestured, that I was fine. I suppose my mom and him might have changed a few thank you and welcome smiles. But soon I felt, his hand on my frock. I was too young to understand. But I felt bad and irritated. I looked at my mom. And she immediately understood what I did not and pulled me away. Nothing happened, neither did I understand anything at that point of time, but it must have impacted somewhere, as I remember it even today and hate travelling in locals.

Today when I think about it, I wish I was a grown up then. The man would have faced the dire consequences of his perversion. But why I suddenly remember this, is because of the incident that recently happened in Indigo Aircraft. The pervert had it and for good, for his misdeed and salute to the girl. The video is embedded at the beginning of the narrative.

With the growing acid attacks or crimes against women, there is a dichotomy of whether to protest or not. The reality is, a huge part of the crowd is never going to respect women and the only way of betterment is through enforcement. Every little harassment should be treated strictly. Every offender should be punished and every brave girl to raise a voice should be applauded.
Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta



No comments:

Post a Comment