Wednesday 8 April 2015

Congratulations to Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli

Anushka Sharma

It is not male chauvinism, definitely not feminism, its only and only about humanity. Actually I read I lot of articles and news on this topic and had decided I had nothing more to add. But today seeing the pictures of Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma together in Kolkata Airport, inspired me to pen down a bit of my heart. I guess we know what I am talking about. Yes the infamous portrayal of social taboo and superstition through venting of poisoned emotions on Team India loosing Cricket World Cup Semi Finals. You know what, I write to pen my heart and paint with words my emotions, my traumas, my fears and myself. I write about social issues with the idea of reaching to atleast few. But when this whole episode was burning electronic and print media, I was absolutely disgusted to even write about it. I thought this was a topic which deserved minimal attention.

But today I am writing, not for anything else but for congratulating Virat and Anushka for finding the guts to face the irrational world of their haters. Common! In this century of progressive thinking, while we burst our lungs shouting, education, enlightenment etc, we actually are bound with the fetters of prejudice and superstition. I believe the people who tweeted of Anushka as Panauti (unlucky) for India, are not part of any progressive thinking bracket. Afterall it is only lack of education that binds people to such retarded thinking process. Please people, I understand your emotions attached with cricket but targeting one relationship or one person, cannot change the fact the Aussies had bowled us over and that was only because of bad performance of the players. It was just not their day. The presence or absence of anyone cannot ruin a game of 11 players.  And pointing a nasty finger to the personal life of a girl, who had gone to cheer her boyfriend, is just too ridiculous to be accepted in a civilised society. The sexual innuendos, the demeaning stuff actually does not only exhibit the lack of respect for women but also lack of humanitarian instincts. It was painful to see even women joining this stink, have we forgotten the many incidents that took place in rural India on the basis of labelling women unlucky. What is the difference with us then? If we can openly tweet insinuating the sexual life of a couple and citing it as the reason for the bad performance of the guy, if we can openly tweet and label someone as unlucky we are nothing better than those ignorant villagers.

Anyways I congratulate both Virat and Anushka for giving it back, for coming out with flying colours amidst the hatred of many is commendable. It is exemplary as well, and tells us never to bow down in front of baseless bourgeoisie. Nothing is more important than self respect and an attack on that has to be combated and that too with conviction. Your being together with each other at that time and openly coming in front of everyone in Kolkata airport for IPL, shows not only your love but respect for each other as well.

Anushka and Virat at the Kolkata Airport for the IPL


Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta


2 comments:

  1. awesome!!! :-) way to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archana...you r really very encouraging :-)

      Delete