Saturday 7 November 2015

Six things to miss about Kolkata winters


I love Mumbai, and I love being a part of its maddening life. May be the madness intrigues me to be mad myself. But I miss Kolkata, especially this time of the year. Why? Well there is something about the winters in my city of joy, which completely tend to miss in this city of dreams. Because unfortunately there is no winter here!! The November sun continues to set us on the tandoor and make a yummy feast out of us...so here's me dreaming to be under the quilt, though the very thought makes me sweat...literally and writing about what I miss about the winters...with the AC on....phew!!! 

Winter quadruples your energy, you can have loads more fun and not limited with the boundaries of tiredness...and this is specially applicable to people like us...with a bad migraine...and with sun as our enemy...so following is a list of the activities I miss out...when West Bengal soaks in the luxury of coffee, picnics and more.

a. My mommy special coffee....yup its at the top of the list. My Mom makes heavenly coffee, which is true for all seasons. But the taste is different when you sit with the quilt around you, cuddled on the most loved corner of your bed and sip ceremoniously without missing an iota of relish. What? Can correlate?...obviously you will!!! 



b. Soaking in the sun after a hasty bath...since I have shifted to the western part of our colourful nation, sun has always been dreaded and hated by me...besides the days of prolonged monsoon...when fungus seems to build even on your skin...well not literally. Back at home in Kolkata and more so during my childhood days in Kulti (Read: My Dreamy Childhood) I have enjoyed my date with the soothing warmth of the afternoon sun and playing/gossiping with friends. And later sleeping under a warm quilt, which was under the sun since morning...for the heavenly afternoon siesta..Miss that warmth!!


c. Bhanrer Cha (Tea in Clay Cups)....Being a student of engineering in Kolkata, how can I miss out the luxury of drinking, heavenly, milky tea in classical clay cups. Just not possible right? The taste of that tea manifolds when there is a delectable chill in the air and warmth of casual discussion, mockery with college friends. Ohh!!! Seems like a dream which I had once lived. Miss it badly!


d. 31st night with family...Each year my brother-in-law, Dr. Subrata Chattopadhyay, who besides being extraordinarily academically sound is also the proud owner of classy taste in liquors, would arrange a get together at their place on 31st night. A very close knit group of people would spend some awesome moments, which are worth a cherish for the lifetime. And how can I not mention my sister....who can very easily compete for the master chef and her wonder recipes. Miss that fun!!



e. Exotic Food...Kolkata is a haven for food lovers and when it is winter and digestive system is in its best form, how won't you miss the Phulkopir Singara (cauliflower Samosa), Koraishutir Kochuri (Green peas Kachauri)...if you have the god damn tongue inside your mouth? how?


f. Choruibhati (Picnics)...The real exuberance of picnics come out only during winters. Since childhood the chill in the air, told us that some happy moments are round the corner...it was picnic time. The breakfast in picnic bus, the badminton, the musical chair....everything is missed out. Who wants to sweat it out in a summer picnic!


Every season has a beauty of its own, while I enjoy the greenery of the monsoons in Mumbai, I miss winters badly, so I make it a point to visit Kolkata atleast once during the cold season and enjoy my mommy special coffee and luxury of writing with the quilt on, forcing Ma to sit by me as I write and sip.
Happy Winters Everyone!!!



Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta
pics courtesy google images!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment