Thursday 19 November 2015

The cherished Sojourn of Udaipur has begun

“Kesariya balam aavo ni
Padharo mhare des”

If you are an Indian or an admirer of the colourful Indian culture you must have heard that. Yes! You have done me proud by guessing it right!! He he…it the famous Rajasthani Folk Song, preferably sung in the mand singing style. There is something about the lyrics of this song and the tune. It fascinates my whims and beckons me to those lands of palaces, lakes, sand dunes and cactus. Ever since I had learnt about Rajasthan and seen it in none other than Satyajit Rays Sonar Kella… I wanted to be there. But my first enticing visit to these enchanting lands happened this month after years of dreaming about it. Wait, wait…yeah I did visit Mt. Abu a few years back, but it is more like a common hill station, with picturesque landscape but not the essence of the deserts.

A few days back I went to the land of Maharana Udai Singh, the city which was once the capital of the kingdom of Mewar. Any guesses? But no prize for that.. Yes, I have just returned with the lingering fragrance of the most romantic city “Udaipur”. The land of lakes and palaces and how aptly so! Set at the foothills of the Aravalli Range and with Lake Pichola and Lake Fateh Sagar to add to its beauty, Udaipur stands out amongst the major tourist attractions in our country. Every major and minor name in the luxury hotel league have acquired properties in this city and developed them mesmerizingly. And why not…Indian and foreigner tourists come to the city to live the royal life. 


Reached Trident Early Morning

The welcome Drink

The royal lounge

We, or rather my husband Avishek had chosen the Oberoi Property “The Trident”, afterall it was my birthday special trip and had to be special, royal, exotic…oops….I was and am too excited!! Spread over acres of land, surrounded by lush green lawns and well kept gardens and overlooking Lake Pichola, this property is an ideal place to breed rich souls in its tranquility. The rooms though not very spacious, are aptly comfortable for a couple and aptly cosy to add to the romance between them. The hotel staff, were extremely warm and welcoming. Their smiling faces and care has remained with me and was a major takeaway. The food was very tasty, in their restaurant named “Aravalli”. A special mention of “Nalli Nihari” and "Makki Roti", the taste till tantalize my foodie tongue. The food cost was high, I mean of the five star standard, as expected. The only complaint, is the unavailability of free wifi, internet now being a necessity of living. Oh! how could I not mention the elaborate breakfast spread and the more elaborate view of the surrounding lake, mountain hugging monsoon palace and the exotic greenery. A prodigious way to kick start the day.


Photography started with the bathroom
Me with the lavish breakfast spread

Avishek drowned in taste

Eggs looked awesome

The exotic pool side

Aravalli, the restaurant

The blueness attracts

Relaxing in the beautiful garden

Give me the wings to fly

Bada Mahal inside the hotel premises

The first glimpse of the National Bird


I am with you and always

In the Hotel

Diwali Sweets

We had grossly three days to explore the place. But unfortunately my ever energetic hubby , went into oblivion with the serenity around. Nevertheless, I explored the property and dragged him to the nearby local market, for a desi dinner. "Dal, Bati, Churma...was what I wanted to have. A Rajasthani delicacy I had heard so much about, but was never bestowed with the fortune to taste it. That evening was made special by the hospitality in the little restaurant we went to and the lasting taste of that cuisine. Yummy!!! Loved it!! "Santosh Bhojnalaya" served the perfect dish and with love. 


Dal, Bati and Churma 

You and I 

The poolside at night

Cool nights

It was an eventful day and I slept blissfully. At midnight the doorbell rang, half awake I stared at Avishek from under the blanket, he smiled and wished me Happy Birthday, the hospitality guy came in with a yum chocolate cake and red roses...uhooo!! It was my Birthday already!!!!!!!!


Mid night fun

Happy Birthday to me!!

To be continued......



Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta


No comments:

Post a Comment