Saturday 13 December 2014

My win over fear

An inspiring Dew film

I have never been an interesting person, adventure sports and out of box activities were never part of my life. Due to lack of such activities, I had developed loads of fears. Fear of height, fear of darkness, fear of being alone in the house and so on. At times I would sigh at my predictable boring life and dream that some day; some one will forcibly pull me out of my comfort zone and push me towards challenges. I too wanted to experience the joy of prison break from fears and live the overwhelm of adrenaline rush. But my fears were too strong and over powering.

My husband and I are poles apart, while I prefer to play safe, he enjoys living at the edge. Sometimes I would innocently ask him “What is need of taking risks, don’t you prefer peace?” The obvious reply “Life is too short to keep playing safe, there are too many things to enjoy and there is no time to loose thinking?” Though my heart would essentially skip a beat, coming to terms with his plans but then this was what I dreamed of.
From taking tequila shots and loosing myself at least one time in my life to suddenly accepting his decision of buying a house in Mumbai, he just takes me through and surprisingly I have always enjoyed those journeys.

It was our second anniversary and we planned to celebrate it in the awesomeness of Goa. Romantic Santana beach resort and the tranquil Candolim beach, we actually were having a blissful vacation! The music, the food and the occasion had infused more life into us; candid romance reigned supreme in the atmosphere.
I got up feeling fresh and happy that morning, only to be greeted with a mouth watering buffet breakfast and the euphoric tropical breeze. We had plans of rendezvous with some of the exotic beaches of North Goa that day, so I was quite excited. After witnessing nature’s grandeur we planned to catch up with some mouth smacking Goan delicacies. It was around 3:00 in the afternoon when we reached Baga beach. A beach in North Goa known for adventure sports!

“We are going for Paragliding!” said Avishek. This announcement marked the beginning of a rhythm of heart beat, much faster than normal. At first I was unsure what to reply, one mind said “what are you thinking? This was what you wanted” and another mind said “are you kidding, what will happen if the harness breaks and you fall in the middle of the sea?” After what seemed hours of deep introspection, I decided to take the risk and plunge.
The speed boat took us to a much calmer sea, far away from the maddening crowd of the beach. My heart was beating louder! They tied harnesses across our waists and I really do not know what they did next, but moments later we were high up in the air overlooking the sea, the fear, the inhibitions had sublimed to be replaced with sheer joy of overcoming it.


Paragliding at Baga Beach

That was the first time when I shed my fear, took risk and let myself go to attain that moment of adrenaline rush. It might not be too big a thing for most of my readers, but to me it was a moment of victory and I cherish it with love. So when I came across the topic of “Rise above Fear” in indivine by mountain dew, I immediately decided to share this moment. Its not that I took loads of risks after that, but the moment really had increased my confidence in myself. I had taken the risk of going against my normal safe playing self and claimed victory over my fear.

The ad crafted by mountain dew (shared at the beginning of my narrative) is also awesome and gives loads of inspiration to people like me. Kudos to the makers!  You can also check their facebook page using the following link:  https://www.facebook.com/mountaindewindia

Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta

No comments:

Post a Comment